Monday, October 3, 2011

Announcing My New Blog Project: Book Riot


You may have noticed that things have slowed down here at The Ape of late. And there's a reason for that: for the past few months I've been hard at work on a new blog project that is launching today: Book Riot.

Some of you may have seen mention of it floating around (especially on Twitter), but let me tell you a little about it. Book Riot is a book news and commentary site that slots somewhere between your higher quality book blog and a mass market site like The Huffington Post (but, you know, good). The goal is to write about books in the accessible, entertaining way that bloggers do but with the goal of breaking through the blogosphere bubble by being a little more professional and a little more consistent. Our target audience is someone who likes to read, but wouldn’t read an individual book blog (probably there is someone in your life who does like to read, but isn’t a nut about it like us).


As for my role, well, I'm co-founder (along with my friend and business partner Clint) and will be serving as Editor-in-Chief. In short, I'll be doing a bunch of writing (considerably more than I ever did here), recruiting writers and bloggers (more on this below), and working with our writers to do entertaining, educational, and otherwise engaging writing about books and reading.


So far, we have a stable of thirteen writers, many of whom are bloggers that I've met through doing this humble little blog (Rachel from A Home Between Pages, Greg from The New Dork Review of Books, Amanda from Dead White Guys are all writing and all have been regular commenters here).


In the coming weeks, we are going to be looking for more contributors and I hope some of you will consider joining us. I'll post more about that when we are ready for more, but one of Book Riot's goals is to bring the best of what book bloggers do to a wider audience.


The Reading Ape will still be around, though likely in his current leisurely pace. I do hope you will check out Book Riot---if we do it right, I think it'll become a regular stop on your internet route.


Thanks so much for reading here; my experience writing The Ape led directly to this new venture, and I hope you'll come along as well.


Many thanks,


Jeff O'Neal

11 comments:

  1. Will check it out as it does sound appealing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very exciting - looking forward to watching the project evolve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, I didn't realize that this was your project! I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, if you think I'd be of any use (I know my style doesn't fit everybody), I'd be glad to contribute. Hit me up on the email or on the Twitters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with the new site. Is there going to be an international vibe at all? I find that most collective book sites outside of the UK aren't very accessible as the books aren't always ones that I'm likely to get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The website looks great, wonderful job and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations!  You did a fantastic job on the teaser campaign and the website looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wonderful! I've been following Book Riot for a while, but I didn't realize you guys were behind it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The layout is a little funky on google chrome--the header seems to extend into the text on a number of articles--but the content is great so far. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the new venture. I'm a regular here so no doubt I'll become a regular at book riot too :)

    ReplyDelete